Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Dog or the Track?

I watched the Station Agent the other day, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a quirky little movie with a lot of soul. The movie subsequently inspired me to look up Amtrak to find out a bit more about America's passenger train service. (Yes, we do have one. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, it is kind of shocking.)

I've always wanted to ride a Greyhound bus. Mostly because I enjoy the company of nutters (I think they are splendid fun) and I was promised the Greyhound is a very different slice of the ol' American pie. People who know me should understand why I believe riding the Greyhound would be a rockin' once-in-a-lifetime experience. People who don't know me...well, there's just no explaining. (I often have weird ideas and strange fixations. These eccentricities are often blamed on the genes I inherited from my father. This is fine by me. It allows me to shirk blame and escape culpability.)

Anyhow, getting to the point. Though I still have the urge to hop on a Greyhound, I'm currently consumed with riding the rail. Of course, Amtrack is decidedly inconvenient, but that's not the point. I just want to get on it and go...somewhere...don't care where...I'm not too particular.

So I have good news on the application front; I've been accepted by the University of Iowa. (Yes, I know, the geographical location isn't the best, but they do excellent research and their faculty seems downright lovely.) I'm thinking about postponing my departure to SE Asia and going for a visit. Of course, I really can't make any decisions until I hear from everyone, which won't be until April.

That's about all I have to say, for tonight. I'm certain I can find some nonsense to discuss tomorrow.

No comments: