Thursday, February 23, 2006

Things that make me happy :)

Lying in the grass, staring up at the clouds, with not a thing in the world to do. (Provided I'm wearing long sleeves and my allergies aren't acting up. I did this a lot while on holiday.)

Watching a puppy wobble across the floor on unsteady little legs.

Extending freezing fingertips toward the hot air that pours from a car’s air vent. I like feeling my blood warm and surge through my veins.

IHOP at three in the morning with good friends.

The expression on my brother's face when he djs. He looks like a jubilant little boy, and you can't help but to smile along with him.

Coming home from a long day at school, flinging the door open, and yelling "I'm home!" Such relief contained in those two simple words. (Though I haven't been able to do this in quite some time, I really like yelling—happily of course—upon my return to home. Perhaps this is why I love having roommates.)

Making s'mores. Mostly over the campfire, because I love camping. However, I’ve probably spent an indecent amount of time with my nose glued to the microwave door, watching marshmallows explode to the size of beach-balls.

Secrets. Keeping them. Weaseling the funny or semi-scandalous ones out of my friends. Allowing my friends to weasel secrets out of me.

The first time I listen to a CD that I know I will love. I really enjoy the period of time when a CD is still unfamiliar and fresh, before the lyrics and melodies are assimilated into my being.

The smell of Galveston: dead fish and rotting seaweed. It may reek, but to me, it smells like the freedom of my idle youth and serves as a reminder of those long, hot, summer days that dropped off into an endless void.

The wind on a cool spring night, it feels like a black silk sheet dragged across my skin.

The lovely pinging sound ice cubes make as they are poured into a glass. (Preferably not my glass because I dislike ice. Well, except in snow-cones. There are exceptions to every rule.)

Going to work with my dad and going shopping with my mom. I like my parental units, they’re pretty cool peeps.

Cream filled Popsicles, especially red ones. I had my first one during recess in kindergarten. Of course, I managed to drip it all over my brand new Keds. Once a klutz, always a klutz.

The first time you introduce somebody as an "old" friend. It's at that moment you realize they are in your life for keeps.

The promise that lurks in the crisp white spaces of a blank sheet of paper.

Conversing with people who use obscure words. I like hearing them spill out into the air, slightly dusty from neglect.

The fact I could work on this list for the rest of my life and never run out of things to say.

So what makes you happy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU make me happy!

Jon and Monique said...

Awww, aren't you a charmer.

Anonymous said...

Yep I charm you all the way to value village and back!