I don't have enough time to write a complete description of Luxor, so I'm going to make this really brief. I'll probably flesh it out a bit more later, because this online journal is my only trip record (aside from photographs).
We went to Kom Ombo Temple as soon as we got off the felucca. It was basically the same as the other temples we had frequented, but don't get me wrong, I wasn't really bored of the temples. Everyone was feeling really sick, perhaps it was heat stroke?
We then drove to Luxor, where we took in the light show at the Karnak Temple. Of course, not everyone was able to come due to the illness. We were led through the darkened complex while lights illuminated various parts of the temple. It was all accompanied by audio, which was very dramatic. It seemed like we had wandered in the middle of a theater set. Lots of fun. At the end we were led to a little stadium, which overlooked the reflecting pools and obelisks. I waited for fireworks, and I waited, and I waited. Suddenly the show was over and there were no fireworks. It was about then that I realized the "light" portion did not mean "firework lights". I wasn't too disappointed, I had seen fireworks before, but it would have been cool to see the Pharohs rocking out to them.
The next day we went to the Valley of the Kings, where we checked out three tombs. (The ticket was good for entry to three.) I believe we say Seti I, Ramses the IV, and Tuthmose III. So fantastically amazing. A lot of the work looked nearly cartoony, and you could see some places where the artists stuffed up the drawings. It seemed so...new. Hard to believe it was thousands of years old.
Next we stopped by Queen Hatshepsut's temple, which had been defaced by her son. It was splendid, and the design seems almost modern. The terrorist attack of '97 occurred at this temple.
Stopped by another temple and saw some statue thingies before heading back to the hotel for a nap.
After the Valley of the Kings, we went to the Luxor Museum and checked out the Luxor Temple from the outside.
An added bonus: our hotel at Luxor was really nice. No ants. Free toilet paper. Hot water. Actual bathtub. It was more than I could have ever expected.
No comments:
Post a Comment