Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Fav pictures from the Middle East

Crac de Chevaliers, the only complete crusader castle, which is located in Syria. It was ridiculously windy on the top of the castle, so much that I became dizzy. Since it is the best preserved medieval fortress, a ton of movies have been filmed there. It rained while we were there, apparently the for the first time in six months. I tried to conserve water while I was there.






This picture was taken around five in the afternoon. We setting up camp and cooking dinner in the Valley of the Tombs in Palmyra, Syria. A sandstorm rolled in, and the wind began to scream in our ears. It was enough to set anyone's teeth on edge. When I took this photo, I was finally starting to feel a bit better. This was the day I yakked in the middle of the road.




My obligatory tourist shot. The pyramids are tucked out of sight behind the suburban area of Cairo and covered by a heavy blanket of smog. Suddenly you turn a corner and BOOM--there they are! It's okay to wear tank-tops in the tourist areas. However, I was so used to covering my whole body that my naked arms made me really self-conscious.





The sunset over the Nile. This was taken when we got off the felucca and the men were saying their evening prayers. We were wandering around on shore, which was a giant field covered with cow poo. I suppose that was why the field was so green and fertile.


This guy really wanted me to hold the snake. I did not so much want to hold it. I'm not really down with holding cobras. Anyway, we sort of compromised and he dangled its tail on my arm. To be honest, I'm probably more terrified of rotten fruit than I am snakes, but that doesn't mean I like to fondle snakes. This was at Kom Ombo Temple in Egypt. I think I've been to nearly every major tourist site in Egypt, or at the ones covered by the History Channel.




No comments: