Saturday, November 26, 2005

CDs you really ought to purchase...

Okay, maybe don't take my word for it. Musical preference is as unique as fingerprints. At least give one or two songs a listen at Amazon.com :)

1. People, Places, and Things by Chuck Coleman
My top pick. Just so you know, I’m not getting any kickbacks for plugging this guy. This is just a cool combo of extremely smart/witty lyrics and and very engaging melodies. I could best sum it up as incredibly intelligent music. (Of course, if you’re the type that doesn’t listen to lyrics, this one isn’t for you.) Oh, and it makes fantastic dinner music, right Em?

2. August and Everything After by Counting Crows
This is a classic, and you are an eejit if you haven’t purchased it by now. While I was on the road, I listened to it so frequently that when I got a nosebleed, I swore it was the product of listening to too much Counting Crows. I think it’s the perfect travel music—it's cheery yet tinted by a hint of melancholy, a sentiment that matched most of my experience in Eastern Europe.

3. ForeverFaithless by Faithless
Dido makes an appearance on a few of these tracks. The CD itself has (mostly) a really low-key techno style. At present, my favorite song is Weapons of Mass Destruction, but the rest of it is pretty freaking fabulous as well. Good driving music.

4. Afterglow by Sarah McLaughlin
I used to listen to this while I was in the bathtub. I don’t need to say much about Sarah, because it’s obvious she has a phenomenal voice. I don’t think Afterglow was as popular as Fumbling, but it ought to be. It’s rather soothing. A good choice to listen to if you’re stressing about something.

5. History for Sale by Blue October
I’m probably biased here, because the band is fantastic live. I really like this CD because it explores a broad spectrum of human emotion; in short, there is a song to match most every mood. Plus I really like the lead singer’s voice.

For those of you that know me well, you may wonder why Garbage doesn’t make an appearance on this list. I did not include them for two reasons. First of all I am so obsessed, it is impossible for me to be impartial when it comes to their music. Secondly, asking me to pick just one of their CDs would be like Sophie’s Choice or something. Gah!

So what's your top five? C'mon people, help me out here. :)

2 comments:

Otis said...

Thanks for this idea. I posted my list here.

Raegan said...

Okay, here are my top five favs right now in no particular order:

1. Seven Swan by Sufjan Stevens
2. Final Straw by Snow Patrol
3. O by Damien Rice
4. Let Go by Nada Surf
5. On & On by Jack Johnson

Kind of a random mix of new and old but that is what I have been listening to lately. Ask me in a month and it will be different! I love you, Monique!!