Friday, November 18, 2005

I am a total schmuck

I have a cousin that I share a birthday with. Her name is Jenny. I've never met her, mostly because of geography and ill-timed family holidays. However, I've always felt like I've known her because she's a regular fixture in the "family reports" that come out of Ohio.

The same weekend I was hit by the Matato, she had an auto accident. A garbage truck ran a red light and hit her car. It shattered the vertebrae in her neck. She will be a quadriplegic.

Needless to say, it definitely put things in perspective for me.

Makes me horribly ashamed that I've whined about my lack of mobility--which is temporary. Makes me horribly ashamed of my dramatism. Makes me feel guilty that I will be healed in three months time and she will not. Most of all, it makes me realize I've behaved like a total schmuck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sad. I hope that you can meet Jenny one day.

Thinking of you - Kristin

Jessica said...

Just to add the much needed comic relief...wouldn't that make you a schmuckette?