We signed up for this "four island" package tour thing the next day. I was used to sleeping in, so it was kind of an early morning for me. Fortunately, I ate some Ritz crackers for breakfast which improved my mood substantially. (I like my breakfast, I get a little sad [and by sad I mean grumpy] when I miss it.)
After a little mishap, we piled on our boat and headed out. Coincidentally our first stop was the same beach we frequented the day before. It was a tight beach, so I wasn't complaining. The next island was our lunch stop. After lunch I went for a swim, and made the brilliant decision to swim to an island about a quarter of a mile away. It was kind of a long swim, but I persevered and I was not eaten by sharks. (Not that there are sharks in the area; I was having a Jaws flashback as I was swimming that made me all kinds of paranoid.) After I swam back in, I collapsed on the beach for a bit and read. Shortly before we left, Jon discovered a whole colony of monkeys playing around in some vines. It was a definite highlight of the day.
The next stop was snorkeling. I saw some pretty cool fish, but something had destroyed the ecosystem, and the coral reef was mostly dead. However, it was still good fun. Part of our tour included a stop at Chicken Island and "an explanation of how Chicken Island got its name". As we approached the island, the tour guide waved his hand at it, saying, "Chicken Island, you see?" (The rock formation looks exactly like a Chicken. I was puzzled as to why anyone would need an explanation.) By the next island, I was pretty tired, so I mostly sat in the water like a four-year-old child and splashed about. I also attempted to build a sand-castle. That didn't work out so well for me.
Since I am a smart kiddo, I decided to apply sunscreen once. The next day I regretted that decision. Jon and I fairly sunburned and didn't much feel like carrying our bags; therefore, we decided to stay in Krabi and have an "admin" day. These days are reserved for doing the housework type of stuff that builds up while traveling (we did laundry, I purchased a replacement watch, we planned where to go next, and drank a beer). These are the most stressful days of the trip. At the conclusion of the admin day, it is acceptable to laud your general productivity. While measuring the net gains of the day, events like "showering" can be considered a productive event.
Saturday, April 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment