Friday, April 28, 2006

Ko Tao

We were in Ko Tao, for eons, five whole days to be exact. I'm worried this post will be difficult to write, as all the days seem to roll into one long sunshine-filled hazy day. I'll try to separate them out, to the best of my ability.

I wasn't feeling well, so I slept most of one day. I can do that. I'm on holiday. Our first day there, Jon and I decided to do our laundry. It was a Very Bad Idea. Everything that we put in the wash was pretty much torn to shreds, and what wasn't shredded was covered with a thick layer of laundry lint. Worst Laundromat ever. We digress...

After I finally woke up, Jon and I decided to hike across the island to "see what was on the other side." It was a rather hot walk, mostly because it we walked under a fairly thick canopy and there wasn't much breeze. At first I perspired, then I began to sweat, then I began to drip little droplets all over the path. (It was somewhat convenient. If we got lost, we could follow my little trail back to town.) When we got to the beach, there was (fortunately) a place to buy water. I also went wading in the ocean, which cooled me down a bit. We had ice cream that night, so of course I felt better.

The second day we hung out, read a little, and had a bit of leisure time. We caught the sunset then wandered down the beach to a chilled-out bar (no chairs, only beanbags). We booked a snorkeling tour for the next day. Since it was such a chill day, there wasn't much to report.

The next day we went on our snorkeling trip. It was the best snorkeling trip ever. At the first stop, I saw about 10 black tip sharks. It was phenomenal. The second stop we saw a ton of different coral formations, all in a variety of hues. Very beautiful. The last stop was a lot of fun because people on the boat were throwing food into the water, trying to get it as close to the snorkelers. Consequently, the fish were swarming all around us.
The last stop was an island to the northeast of Ko Tao. We hiked up to a giant stone slab. (It was boiling hot outside, so the stone slab felt like a stone altar on which we would be sacrificed to the sun god, Ra). We took some photos, and climbed back down the hill to go swimming and cool off. When I returned to the guest house, I had the misfortune to break the key off in the lock. That was a bit of a debacle. In the evening we kicked it at a bar with an Irish girl we met on our snorkeling tour. I think fun was had by all.

The day after our snorkeling trip, we were a bit burned. Therefore, we chilled out and went swimming, drank some fruit shakes, and read some more (In Cold Blood). We found a really excellent bakery, so we ate a few cinnamon rolls. (Hey, doing our part to help the local economy.)
We then wandered down to the main part of town, which was down by the docks. We wrapped up the evening by eating some nachos (I liked that very much) watching a bit of English football (Jon liked that very much). So everyone was pretty happy.

I liked Ko Tao very much and enjoyed my stay there. The end.

No comments: