Monday, May 01, 2006

Back to Bangkok (yet again)

From Ko Tao we hopped on a boat, then boarded an all-night bus to Bangkok. (We had the opportunity to grab some food at the night market in Chumphon, so I was happy about that. Nothing is worse than being both hungry and tired.) We arrived in Bangkok around 4:45 in the morning. Since we didn't have anyplace to go, we sat in a cafe and drank fruit smoothies. Though I slept a bit on the bus, I felt like a zombie. I was really happy when the guesthouses opened, so I could finally get to sleep.

The next morning, Jon and I went to the Vietnamese Embassy to get our visas sorted. (Maybe its an American thing, but going to an Embassy that has "The Socialist Republic of..." feels a bit freaky.) The afternoon was spent at the huge shopping complex, the MBK. I got my hair cut and did a bit of window shopping. We caught a movie, Ice Age II, which was enjoyable. I haven't seen many movies since I've been away. I miss them.

After the movie, we went to Patpong, which is the seedy bar district of Bangkok. I know I sound a bit naive, but I didn't expect it to be so sleezy. We didn't stay long.

No comments: