Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Siem Reap

**Okay, so I'm recomposing this blog, because I sounded like a major whiner** (I was in kind of a bad mood when I wrote it because I had a bad sinus headache. Sorry guys. I swear I'm not that unpleasant.)

The first day in Siem Reap, I slept in and recovered from the trip. Once I dragged myself out of bed, Jon and I went on a wander into town. It was hot. Surprisingly hot. After ten minutes outside, I felt nauseated. I also felt like a wimp, on account of my ability to become nauseated so easily. (How is this? I should be used to the climate! I am from Texas! I ought to be proudly representin' my ability to tolerate heat.)

The center of town wasn't very close to our guesthouse. It was obvious the travel company where we purchased our bus tickets received a kickback to "deliver" us to a specific guesthouse. This wasn't so cool, but I can't blame them too much. Our bus tickets from Bangkok to Siem Reap were only 6 dollars or something ridiculous. You can't expect too much.

We ate dinner in the town center and made the decision to relocate the next day, as it would be more convenient. As we walked around town, it was obvious Cambodia was a far more impoverished country. Very sad.

The next day we relocated, as planned. Our new guesthouse was family run and very nice. They had a few kids in the family, and the littles would take afternoon naps in hammocks. It was really cute, but a bit wild to see a baby rocking in a hammock.

After we relocated, I wasn't feeling very well, so I stayed in my room and slept while Jon explored the town. Fortunately, I was feeling better that evening, as the dinnertime presence of Vietnamese spring rolls cheered me considerably. (I <3 Vietnamese spring rolls.) After dinner, Jon and I made arrangements with a tuk-tuk driver to take us all around Angkor's ruins the following morning.

Very hyped about the following day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your life is wonderful.