Monday, May 01, 2006

Ayuttaya

The next day we headed down to the train station. Ayuttaya to see Buddha's Big Head. We went by train from Bangkok, which was super cheap; however, it was rather crowded. As our journey continued, we picked up more people, who were forced to stand. Though the town was large, it wasn't a "tourist town" as I had initially anticipated.

The next day we headed out for the temples, and it was broiling outside. However, the temperature didn't diminish the splendor of the ruins. Really fantastic. I got loads of cool pictures. After walking around the grounds and eating ice cream to cool off (why is it I always seem to talk about food), Jon and I chilled out in the shade for a long while. We then stopped by the museum, which had an excellent setup but was a bit on the smallish side.

The next day we left Ayuttaya to go back to Bangkok. This time we stayed in the area around the train station. (Bangkok is so huge, you could go to the city twenty times and never stay in the same area.) Not a lot to mention this time around. While Jon and I were in the capital of Thailand, we wandered down to Chinatown to eat Indian food. Yup, we're crazy kids.

The next day we went to Daemon Saduak to see the floating markets. (The floating markets are boats loaded down with all kind of goodies and the transactions occur over water.) The town was rather small, so after a brief wander, Jon and I went back to the guesthouse to read. I got up obscenely early the next morning (about 6:30), and headed to the floating market.

I really enjoyed the market. There were lots of women in brightly colored shirts selling fruits, vegetables, and rice dishes. Unfortunately there were also a few people selling shoddy tourist souvenirs. However, on the whole, the whole atmosphere was really cool. Our boat was a bit leaky; the driver used a cup to bail the water every so often. It was a good time.

After I got back, I took a loooong nap. Jon and I then headed back to Bangkok

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Monique - just want to say hello and let you know that I still read your blog pretty regularly. I have really enjoyed your adventures - keep them coming!

Kristin Miles
Baton Rouge, LA