Monday, April 10, 2006

Who goes to Satun?

After Krabi we decided to head south to Satun. My Thai visa expired on the 7th of April, so I was planning to hop across the border to Malaysia and kick it there for a bit. Southern Thailand has a strong Muslim influence, so it was a bit different from what I had seen so far.

We had an inkling that Satun may not be the most glamourous destination after purchasing bus tickets (on a very uncomfortable bus).
We were queried and advised about our destination: "Why you want to go there?" "Nothing in Satun. Nooooothinggggg." "Nono. You do not want to go there." "Go to beach. Not Satun."

However, we decided to ignore all of this advice and go anyway. (Our next stop was Thale Ban national park, and it was in close proximity to Saturn. There was a bit of logic behind it all.)

We ended up in this guesthouse. It was not such a nice guesthouse. The rooms had toilets in them. They were semi-smelly squat toilets. Jon decided to do some handwashing. Jon ripped the sink off the wall. On a positive note, the place seemed bug-less and clean. (Plus I had lots of fun laughing about the sink fiasco.)

That evening we wandered around the night market, which was pretty cool, and we only spotted one other Westerner. An elephant came by and nibbled on my foot. That was really exciting. Though Satun wasn't so exciting, I really liked getting out of the tourist rut.

No comments: