"I'm sure have heard there is a hurricane due to strike late Friday here. It looks to be a monster and about 1/2 the people I have talked to are evacuating Houston. This does not include the parents who will be chilling at the Mill Pond homestead w/ generator & the Oodle standing guard. The latest projections have 120 mph winds in our area and the eye going directly over Galveston.
Here are some interesting facts that you may or may not have heard:
- 24 hour "drive" from Houston to Dallas (should be approximately a 4.5 hour drive)--they are about to turn the southbound lanes on 290 and 45 into Northbound only which should shorten that drives considerably
- Rita is the 3rd strongest storm ever in the Atlantic
- lines for gas are about 30 cars deep! Gas is sold out at some pumps and THERE ARE EVEN PEOPLE LINED UP at those stores."
******
I had been watching BBC international, and the scenes from Houston were unreal. It looks like something from War of the Worlds. Completely bizarre. I would be really freaked out if my parents were evacuating, because our family is not really the type to evacuate.
I hope everybody will be okay though. I am a little worried, and I'll keep checking up on you guys back in H-town.
1 comment:
well looks like things have improved, at least for those of us in Houston...as it has shifted east, we are only expecting winds of 60mph in our area. We looked at the traffic situation and decided not to drive to C.S. Rather Burke and I have "batted down the hatches" and are in the process of "hunkering down." i love hurricane vocab.
Beer and Halo for tonight til Rita hollers @ us...
Post a Comment