Saturday, September 03, 2005

Waiting for my train to come in

Last night I went out with some people from my hostel (mostly Canadians) to this Dracula themed restaurant. The people I went with were really cool; one of the girls had stayed at Crazy Dude's hostel in Sarajevo, so we instantly bonded. It was uber-cheesy, but a lot of fun nevertheless. I ordered a salad. Apparently those do not come with lettuce in Romania. You learn something new everyday.

Today I am leaving town so I stopped by the train station this morning to buy my ticket. I was a little short on cash, so I needed to stop at the happy cash dispenser (ATM/CashPoint/Bankomat). As I walked past the ticket windows to enter the main hall, I was stopped by a big scary lady in uniform. There was a bit of confusion. She kept flashing five digits at me and pointing to the hall. Finally it dawned on me.

"Ohhhh!!! I understand," I said excitedly. "You want me to pay you fifty thousand [1.70 USD] to enter the hall and use the Bankomat!"

She nodded, equally excited as she thrust her open palm towards me.

At that point, I might have wrinkled my nose and scoffed, "Yeah riiiight!" As I walked away, she yelled something at me. I bet it was an invitation to join her and her family for dinner.


Today I was just sitting on a park bench, minding my own business, when a middle-aged man sat down next to me and offered me a cigarette. I declined. He then proceeded to reach over, touch my leg, pulling my skirt slightly up my leg. I proceeded to slap his arm as I leapt to my feet to run away. Ugh. So very disgusting. I rubbed hand sanitizer all over my leg where he touched me. It makes me so mad that I didn't slap him harder.

I saw some crazy crazy crazy movie today. I hadn't heard of it before, but it was in arthouse theater so I assumed it would be good. I think it must be banned in the United States. It ought to be. It was deeply disturbing and (to put it bluntly) gross.

FYI: Feelings of powerlessness are connected to describing events in extreme terms (e.g. "it was very difficult" v. "it was difficult"). According to a study I read eons ago in my sociology of gender class, women tend to use extreme languauge (e.g. the word "very") far more frequently than men, and particularly in the workplace. I brought this up because I noticed I tend to use extreme language when I post in my blog. Perhaps I do that when I speak as well? I am now quite curious...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey sneaky nikk its your dad make planes to come home for christmasearly

Anonymous said...

We missed you at Julie's wedding yesterday. Be safe.

Jon and Monique said...

D--I cannot book a ticket yet, as I do not know where I will be. I will probably get the best deal on a ticket about a month before departure anyway. Love you!

Mr. Dustin Griffin--I hope you (or someone) took a lot of picture of Julie's wedding. Can't wait to see them. I owe you an email and hopefully will deliver said email shortly. :)