I did have the opportunity to go to the Ossuary (bone museum) at Kunta Hora. Quite unusual, but not as odd as the Capuchin monk museum in Rome, where the monks thoughtfully preserved their own skeletons, tucking them into the crannies of the ossuary like silent watchmen from the great beyond.
After checking out the Ossuary, I hopped a bus to the town center to check out the medieval silver mines. Upon arriving at the town center, I discovered that I did not plan very well for this excursion.
Mistake #1: Still not purchasing an umbrella. With my wacked out karma, it will stop raining as soon as I buy one. Can't believe I haven't thought of that strategy until now.
Mistake #2: Not purchasing a map of Kunta Hora. I thought, "Oh, it's by a church. It should be easy to find." Maybe so if there weren't three churches in the town and four other "potential" churches (buildings with spires). However, for reasons unknown, my foolish self-assuredness was rewarded, as I got to the mine musuem before the sky released its watery vengence.
I was the only non-Czech speaker on the mine tour; needless to say, it seemed rather dull at first. After a lot of talking, we were escorted to a room where we donned white hooded bathrobes and hardhats. We then marched through town to the mine entrance, looking like slightly bewildered klansmen on holiday.
I felt like a complete doofus with a giant silly hat and even sillier robe. Ten minutes later, the hat became my new best friend. The ceiling was as low as five foot in some places, and parts of it were so narrow I was wedged in like a giant pickle that refused to leave its jar. It was a very entertaining experience, except the part where I got stuck; that made me feel like a giant heifer.
Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey babe,
Glad to hear you are still enjoying yourself. I am quite jealous - I want to see bone museums and get stuck in silver mines!!!! Sadly, I must get up at 5:45 (ridiculous, I know) and go to work. Hope the rain stops soon.
E
Post a Comment