Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Budapest, Hungary and some nonsense

I do not feel like posting much today, so I will be succinct.

I arrived today in Zagreb, Croatia. Through a string of unforseeable events I have ended up in a slightly dodgy hostel that was used to house refugees during the war (early 1990s). I was trying to take a nap, but I kept imagining displaced persons roaming the halls. I succeeded in majorly creeping myself out. When my hands felt icy and the hair on my arms raised, I knew it was time to get out in the sunshine and go for a walk.

Met a guy in that was in the Peace Corps. Impressive, right? I asked him what he did. He said he mostly sat in a hammock and drank beer, but it paid for his university bills. Not so impressive.

Too cold to go to a thermal bath in Budapest. Saving the beach for this next week. I had breakfast at McDonald's, as they are on every corner in Budapest. They put ice in my cup. I turned the cup around and around in my hands, marveling at how cold it was. I had forgotten how your throat constricts when you drink frigid water.

One of my new favorite quotes:
"Well, you never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives."
-Courtesy of F.Scott Fitzgerald

No comments: