Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Ljubljana, Slovenia and Sleeper Trains

Personal space. We all appreciate it. People tend to become distressed when they are not allowed a "buffer zone" of at least two feet. Of course there are exceptions to every rule and (as I discovered on Monday night) one of these exceptions is the non-reserve sleeper compartment.

Within this special environment, it becomes perfectly acceptable to be spooned by complete strangers, rest your feet on somebody's legs or face, and snuggle with people you are barely acquainted with. I woke up with my head resting on the feet of Strange Lady #1 while Strange Lady #2 had her arm thrown across my lap. I thought, "Hmm, this is quite odd. I am usually not this close with my best friends. Perhaps I should do something about this?" I sat up a little and looked around, trying to see how I could compress myself into a smaller area. It was hopeless. I put my head back down on Strange Lady #1's feet and nodded off to sleep.

I really don't have that much more to say about Ljubljana, except I went up to the castle tower and saw this a 3D movie of the city's history. It was definitely a unique experience; however, it's been awhile since I have seen a 3D movie and I forgot they made me a little headachy.

Anyway, I know some people may be curious as to why I do not write more about the cultures of the various countries I have visited. For those that are curious about this omission, I will explain it by saying this: So many aspects of American culture I find both baffling and confounding. Therefore, it would be extremely presumptuous of me to dissect and analyze the culture in another country when I do not have a complete understanding of my own.

Furthermore, every bit of information that I disseminate would be tainted by my own perception. Certainly everything I write in this blog is a composite of my own biases, attitudes, beliefs, moods, and cognitive limitations. It is not possible for me to completely disengage myself from my experiences to provide an accurate description of another country's culture.

That is not to say that I have neglected to form impressions of the places that I have visited. Some have stolen my heart, some have not. The places that I adored the most are not universally loved by all. And this is how it should be. For in this way, our idiosyncratic perceptions provide us with the ability to be unique.

TJZ, I think you owe your sister an email. :)

No comments: