Sunday, August 14, 2005

Ljubljana, Slovenia

So I had a little change of plans and ended up in Slovenia instead of the Croatian coast. (Apparently it takes forever to get to Split and the only bus available would drop me off at three in the morning. I am sure the trains would have run on a better schedule, but it was raining and my lazy ass did not want to walk all the way back to the train station.) Some guy I met had lived in Ljubljana for a semester as an exchange student. He said it was a pretty cool place, so I decided to check it out. I like it, it is laid back with a very Austrian feeling to it; however, I will go into more detail about the city in my next post.

It poured the whole time I was in Zagreb. Therefore I was not able to do a whole lot beside eat pizza and slosh through the mud at the botanical gardens. I ended up kicking it with some really sweet French girls at the hostel for a good portion of my time. We played lots of Uno while waiting for the rain to let up.

While I was waiting in the bus station at Zagreb for my bus to Slovenia, I was attacked by pigeons. They kept landing all around me. You know my sentiments about pigeons from previous posts, so you must know I did not find them charming. Finally I flailed about, hoping my convulsions would scare them away. It didn't work, but the guy sitting across from me thought I was a riot. (Very embarrassed, I was.)

A couple just walked into my hostel wearing the exact same pair of pants. Not a 'his and hers' version, the exact same version. I cannot say why, but I find it somewhat frightening. I should not want my significant other to borrow my pants...ever. Or if he must, I would definitely not want him to wear them in public.

Ohhhh, last night I woke myself up because I was laughing. Now I have woken up many times from nightmares (because of the sheer terror or sorrow), but I have never woken up from effusive happiness. I guess my subconscious must find itself amusing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Monique. Your blog has made me reminisce fondly my year O/S. It sounds like you're having a great time. Are you planning on coming to Australia in your travels? In 2 weeks I am moving from Melbourne to Newcastle (2 hours north of Sydney). You are most welcome to stay with me! It is a beautiful coastal city.
Keep enjoying yourself, Amelia.

Jon and Monique said...

Amelia!!!

I hope all is well with you! I am so very happy to hear from you and feel somewhat honored you visited my page. :) I think I will be in Australia sometime in February/March of 2006, and I will definitely want to stop by and see you.

Take care, and I hope to see you sometime next year!