Amsterdam was, well, about the same since I was last there. Carefree, but with a frenetic undercurrent. I was only planning on staying for two nights, and going to Maastricht for a night; however, that did not work out so well. I made it all the way to Maastricht (a three hour train ride), but the bus that was supposed to take me to the hostel never materialized. It was getting a bit late, and I panicked slightly, and hopped on a train back to Amsterdam for a third night in the city.
When I first got to Amsterdam, I was staying in a bottom bunk, with a rather portly individual stationed above me. I was frittering away in dreamland when he came home. For some (pseudo-legal) reason, he found the ladder to be...gratuitous, and decided to fly his way into bed instead. His gigantic mass smacked into the metal bed frame, skittering it across the floor, and throwing me to the the ground, where I nearly peed myself from fright.
I ran into a really cool girl I met in Brugge, and we hung out for a night. For the most part, the people you meet at hostels are pretty great, so it's really not bad to travel alone.
I did go to a lot of museums while I was in Amsterdam. The Van Gosh museum confirmed was I had initially suspected, namely I care more for what Van Gogh did for art than the works themselves. (Though I do love Starry Night like the rest of them.)
In other news, I have sank to a new, and rather abysmal, low. In Brugge and Amsterdam it was quite cold, so I wore (cringe with me people) sandals with...socks. I knows, it's appalling, but when you have the one pair of shoes, you do what you must. Since I am on the topic of clothing, for those that do not know, I have brought only 3 changes of clothing (one on my back, 2 in my bag). My bag is small enough to carry anywhere, and I can carry it all day long if I must.
That's all the news for now!
Tuesday, June 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment