Yesterday, I am a bit ashamed to say, I caught a double feature at the movie theater. I know what you are thinking, "Monique, shouldn't you be soaking up the Slovakian culture?" Yes, yes, I should, I am a naughty girl. However, I was starving to hear the English language. I saw The Interpreter (fairly palatable) and Kingdom of Heaven (irredeemably bad).
In my defense, I did check out two museums as well. The Slovakian Natural History Museum is essentially an old, well-worn, apartment building that is chock full of dead animals (including a giraffe), precious gems, priceless archaeological treasures, and an assortment of old shoes. It's as if you have accidentally wandered into somebody's attic by mistake.
The art museum was an experience. First of all, I appeared to be their only clientele. I perused two galleries of Slovakian art, and began to move on to the next exhibits (non-Slovakian art) when I was stopped by a curator. He attempted to reroute me back through the Slovakian art, as it seemed very important to him I see these works. I tried to explain I had been there already, but to no avail. Back through the Slovakian art I went. They had many extraordinarily helpful people on staff, whose job it seemed, was to be sure you didn't miss anything at all. No skimming through this museum. By the time I emerged nearly four hours later, I was rather fatigued.
Absolutely loving the exchange rates:
Cost of 2 museums, 2 movies, 3 meals, and 1 hostel stay: 35.17 USD
Monday, June 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment