10:50 am: We are informed that there is a strike going on. Getting to the border is immmpoooosible. Since we are clever, we decide to give it a try anyway.
11:30 am: We get on a train going to Narbonne (vaguely close to the Spanish border).
2:00 pm: We get to the very small train station at Narbonne.
2:00 pm-5:00 pm: We pet a mangy (yet very cute) dog. We use lots of hand sanitizer. We eat Pringles for lunch. We eat Pringles for dinner. We pet the mangy dog again. We take lots of photos. We are in good spirits waiting for our train to come in.
6:00 pm: We realize that we are not clever. Our train will not come. The last available train is going to Marseille. We decide to get on the train. It takes us far far away from Spain. Perhaps we will go to Italy now.
10:45 pm: We get kicked off the train. We must be in Marseille? Some people become very vocal about their unhappiness. I begin to giggle inappropriately. The train services people give us food. We are satiated.
11:50 pm: A lady with blue plastic shoes tells us that a bus will drop us off in Nice. We like the lady. We like her blue plastic shoes.
12:30 am: We get on the bus. I sit down. I have consumed too much water. I have to pee.
12:45 am: The couple behind us makes slurping sounds. They continue to make out vigorously, pausing only for a cigarette break. Emily and I turn around and giggle in their faces. I do not think they like us much.
2:00 am: Our bus is pulled over by a cop. My kidneys start to hurt. Emily and I are laughing deliriously now.
3:30 am: We go around our 80th roundabout of the trip. The pain in my kidneys has moved to my leg. Our neighbor down the aisle has some fierce B.O., the fumes begin to overpower us. Now we are just plain delirious.
5:15 am: We continue to drive down narrow alleyways until we finally arrive at Nice. I find a restroom...sort of. My kidneys stop hurting. We sleep in the doorway of the train station. Our trip has now been upgraded from "travel and leisure" to "action adventure".
****
Anyway, allegedly the strike will be over by Saturday (currently it is 10:30 am on Friday), and I'm truly hoping it will be. I feel bad for Emily and Steph, because this whole strike thing wasted 1/10th of their trip. It's not really about the destination though, it's about the journey, and what a journey it is folks!!! (Maybe I'm a bit of a perverse masochist, but I did find all of this quite entertaining in a most extraordinary and fascinating way.)
3 comments:
Monique,
I am a Ziebro too, and I am curious as to how we are related? Are you my Uncle Joe's daughter? I am Andy Ziebro's son...hmmmm
Just curious. Email me and let me know so I can satiate my starving curiousity. tjziebro@yahoo.com
wow, another Ziebro...definitely not something you run into everyday...I am Monique's brother. We are Larry and Karen Ziebro's kids. Larry is the son of Eleanor Keycheck(sp?) and Richard Ziebro. Hope that helps, but i guess i'll let my sis give you more info if need be.
hello,
travis
Another Ziebro? Most unusual-I initially thought this was a joke. We are Texas residents, but our father is from the Ohio clan in the Cleveland area. I know my dad has nearly 50 first cousins, so we are probably related somehow. (If you find out how, shoot me an email, I am most curious.)
Post a Comment