"Ich bin ein Berliner." - J.F.K.
(This sentence allegedly translates as "I am a jelly donut". However, the Berliners who turned out for his speech did not construe his words literally and believe him to be a giant pastry.)
I stayed one night in Berlin and took a sleeper train out the next night. (The sleeper trains are about the coolest thing in the entire world. I felt like a little kid, because I was so excited by the cool sleeper compartment, I couldn't sleep.)
I really really love Berlin. There is an incredible energy in the streets that is almost intoxicating, though I would adore the city even more if grocery stores were more prevalent. :) I stayed in West Berlin next to a church that was nearly destroyed in the bombing of WWII. It has not been repaired, and instead serves as a monument to the futility of war. It was very eerie, and I found myself unable to tear my eyes away from the building.
For the most part though, all the museums and stuff are in East Berlin. I went on a walking tour (which was so fabulous to relinquish responsibility to somebody else) and found about all the things I did not have time to do. Therefore, I think I may be heading back to Berlin and you may be hearing more about it.
Tuesday, June 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Does that mean you stayed in the hostel right next to the world's largest sex museum?
As a matter of fact, I did stay next to the very large sex museum!!!!! Did you at (presumably) the same place?!? When I was there, it was overrun by very small, yet very loud, children.
Post a Comment