Switzerland is such an odd place, the whole time you are there, you feel like you are either dreaming or stuck in a Hollywood film set. Everything is covered by a thin film of haze, so it all seems even more surreal. Absolutely breathtaking, especially since it is at such a high altitude. :)
We stayed in Interlaken, and made a day trip into Bern. We checked out Einstein's home where he lived with his first wife, who was probably more intelligent that he was. Personally, I think Einstein was kind of a dodgy character. The woman at the tourist office really wanted us to see the bear pits, but we declined to do so. I would just feel sorry for the poor little bears being cooped up, only to be gawked at by a flood of tourists.
Emily, Steph, and I decided to catch an American movie...in German. Our German, quite deficient. As evidence of our shortcomings, I present the following exchange:
What we thought we said:
I would like a ticket to see Monster-in-Law. Is Monster-in-Law showing upstairs or downstairs?
What we actually said:
I would like a ticket to see Monday. Is Monday showing upstairs or downstairs?
Needless to say, there was some confusion. So to all you folks back home Montag means Monday. Do not ask for tickets to see Montag. People will stare at you like you are stupid, and rightfully so.
On another note we discovered that how the Swiss stay warm. They eat ice cream...with vodka.
Thursday, June 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment