Friday, June 24, 2005

Vienna

I have lazed about in Vienna, or Wien as the residents call it, for six very beautiful days. My rail pass expired on the 19th, so I could finally stop my rush-rush schedule and just kick it. Vienna is a rather eclectic city, which suits me perfectly. I am about a twenty-five minute walk from the city center, but I really like the area that my hostel is in.

So far I have eaten a daily picnic lunch in the park next to my hostel, perused the Magritte exhibition, bought a book to read in Vondelpark, ambled through the city eating gelati, gotten kicked out of the Leopold Museum because it was closing, cooked pasta for my hostel roommates, finished a very delicious three dollar bottle of Chianti by myself, threw away my headphones because only the left side worked--sometimes, and gotten out of bed whenever I felt like it. In short, I am living the good life.

The Leopold Museum was fantastic. It mainly showcases a bunch of Klimt, Schiele, and Kokoschka paintings. I had mistakenly thought I had enough time (nearly three hours), but I was barely able to finish before I was chased out. Klimt uses such beautiful colors his paintings seem to effervesce off the walls.

Oh!! Very happy news!! It was time for me to get a new toothbrush, as I have been here for quite awhile. I wandered into the drug store, and found my exact same toothbrush! (It's the best ever--Mentadent with the plastic in the middle.) I would consider today to be an excellent day, and it's only noon!

In other news, I'm working on posting pictures on Evan's (hello and thank you Mr. Zoss) website. A very arduous task, given all the Microsoft commands are in German; typically I would not know what I was doing, but now I am really lost. If it works out, I will post some sort of link. This is probably more for my mom than anybody else, there's far too many pictures to wade through. You would probably need to be a mother to cultivate the patience required to go through all four hundred of them.

Remember, the fat man walks alone. <----Empire Records is a great movie.

No comments: